Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Week 42

First off, I'm not dead, I'm not dying, and I will not be dying any time soon. So not to worry, my minions. Though I am in the earthquake capital of the world, (Well... besides California, Japan, etc.) I'm fine. ;) 

¡No se preocupen!

This week was a crazy one, ladies and gentleman. Aaaaaa crazy one. 

Yes, we had two earthquakes on Wednesday at around 7:30 at night, and the whole country was on the alert. We had to have our emergency backpacks completely ready by our front door with at least 72 hours worth of food and everything. Even though nothing more drastic happened that night, I'm grateful that I have my backpack.

I was in a bus traveling from Chomedague to Santa Cruz when the first quake hit. The bus stopped and suddenly one lady started freaking out and saying that she wanted to get off of the bus. It took me a second to realize that the bus wasn't in motion, but it was shaking from side to side. Hermana Alvarez and I got off of the bus and the whole world was moving from side to side. It felt so weird. 

By the way people were running and shouting in the street, you'd think that Godzilla had decided to give New York a break and tour Chile. 

The second quake hit as we were in the church building waiting for a correlation meeting with the branch mission leader. It felt equally weird.

Santa Cruz quaked for 3-4 minutes, but it honestly didn't feel like much of anything. Walking while it was quaking felt like walking when one is dizzy. It was weird, but not scary. 

Other parts of Chile took a much harder punch. Especially the sectors closer to the beach because of the tsunamis. But as far as I've heard, all of the missionaries are okay.

So in other news, we had the calls for transfers on Saturday night. I am staying in Santa Cruz and I am still with Hermana Alvarez. I will be completing her training. The only person that is leaving our house is Hermana Demetrio. :( She'll be going to Santa Cruz.

The Hermana that's coming in is a newbie, and Hermana Vorwaller will be training for the first time.
Wooooo! We're going to have two greenies in the house!

Hoping for some miracles this cambio. We've done a lot of sowing. I'm about ready to see some reaping.
Yesterday I taught Gospel Doctrine for the first time in my mission. I had the wrong manual because it was the one that I was given, but all in all, it turned out really well! I love teaching in Spanish almost more than I do in English. :D

Chile celebrated its Independence Day on the 18th. Hermana Alvarez, Elder Flores, Elder Zamora and I spent the day with the Plaza-Becerra family - one of my favorite families in Santa Cruz. We had a barbecue and ate a ton, then we shared jokes and played Uno. It was lots of fun.

We had to enter the house early because we knew that there would be all kinds of crazy in the street when it got dark. The little bit of extra time that I had in the house wasn't all that interesting. hahaha I wrote in my journal.

I forgot to mention last week that we had another day like that as well where we had to be in the house early. But beforehand, I wanted to buy some kiwi at a nearby fruit store so that I could make fruit pizza. We were just gonna pop in real quick and buy some kiwi.

We walked in, and the lady who worked there was talking to another lady, then she points at me and says, "Do you draw???"

I have never seen either of those ladies in my life, so I have no idea where they got that idea. But as it just so happens, I do know how to draw. :D

I said, "Yeah. Why?"

The lady told me that her nephew needed a drawing of a top. (Here in Chile they have these large wooden tops that you have to throw out with a string to make them spin. They're really popular among the kids.)

So with ten minutes to spare before we had to enter the house, I sketched out a large drawing of one of those tops with details and all. I managed it in 5 minutes, bagged up some kiwis and went to pay.
But the lady told me, "Nope. Free for the drawing. Have a great night!"

Yessssss! Fruit tastes better when it's free. :D hahahaha!

Iiiiin other news, we're working towards getting Amador to go to the temple!!!!! He's expressed interest before, and as it turns out, we have a temple trip coming up the 31st of October.
 
Unfortunately, as missionaries Hermana Alvarez and I can't go with him, but he really wants to go. The Branch President is already working with him on that. Ahhhhhhhhh! And I'll be here to hear about Amador's experience!!!!

I have yet to meet a convert as truly converted as Amador. We had a lesson with him this last weekend, the 19th of September. As I already mentioned before, the 18th is Chile's Independence Day, but basically they celebrate the whole weekend. 

Anyways, Amador was in his house getting ready to head to the church building and meet us there for a lesson when a friend of his showed up at his door with a whole keg of beer. His friend told him to stay a second and have a drink with him, but Amador told him, "No. Because I've found a better road. And I don't ever want to turn back to things like this."

Naturally, his friend broke out the bullying and gave him all kinds of garbage for being part of "the Mormon church", but Amador just shared his testimony with his friend and said, "Now I have an appointment. Chao." and went straight to the church from there.

What a champ! He's so great!!!! 

He went on to tell us that he stayed away from the fiestas that he would have otherwise attended before because he didn't even want the temptation of being in an environment where everyone would be inviting him to drink or smoke. 

Awwwww! Amador!!!!!!
We were doing a service project during this last week, and we found all kinds of spiders. I thought it was pretty funny watching the other Hermanas jump around and scream. 

Buuuuut then we had to clean up the area around the dog houses and Elder Zamora lifted up a plank of wood, then EVERYONE was screaming. I was like. "WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT????"

I squeezed past everyone else to take a look, and I saw the cause of all of the hubbub.

....I do not know from what depths of where the scream came from, and it took me about ten seconds to realize that it came out of me. 

On the side of the dog house, there was a tarantula. The size of a tennis ball. My first thought was, "If there are spiders like that almost in plain sight, how are the spiders that are hidden in the darker spots in the yard? Holy cow."

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo, because Hna. Demetrio took immediate action and dropped a brick on it. 

Laaaaaame. I wanted a picture.
Hermana Alvarez and I have found a couple of promising people this week, but because of the parties in the last week, we haven't had much contact with our investigators other than phone calls. But hey, something is something, right?

We're continuing onward with 12 semanas, (Hna. Alvarez's training booklet) learning English/Spanish together, and setting some goals for this cambio. We're going to put the pedal to the metal here in Santa Cruz.
That's all for this week. I love you all soooooooo much!

Thanks a million for all of your support!!!!!

CHAOOOOOOO!!!!!
- Hermana Darley

No comments:

Post a Comment