So. Hermana Boully and I
were out in the street power-walking to the next house we were going to visit,
and these two old guys, Gaston and Willy stopped us and asked us about
missionary work. Gaston's questions were pretty innocent, but Willy seemed to be
kind of messing with us. But as for his final question, he said, "And if
you worship Joseph Smith, then why are you called Mormons?" We were like,
"I thought you would never ask! And uh... we don't worship Joseph Smith,
thanks." Then I whipped out a Book of Mormon and started explaining it to
him. Hermana Boully and I took turns explaining bits and pieces of the history,
then Hermana Boully used some scriptures from the Bible to back up what we were
saying. We emphasized that the Book of Mormon is filled with records and
writings of God's prophets in the Americas and the Bible is a record of God's
dealings with the prophets of Jerusalem. The Book of Mormon isn't "our
bible", like so many think. It's another testament of Jesus Christ.
Because God doesn't just love His children in one part of the world! Christ
came to the Americas as well!
Hermana Boully showed the guys a scripture in John 24. I don't remember the verse number, but I know it's the very last one in the book of John. I don't remember it word for word, but it basically says that if all of the works of Christ were written, the number of books would fill the earth. So it makes sense that there would be more testaments! We just have to read and pray to know if the Book of Mormon is true, and God is going to tell you by the power of the Holy Ghost (Moroni 10:5-6).
We handed a copy of the Book of Mormon to each of them and challenged them both to read it. They accepted, then Willy asked Hermana Boully to write down the scripture reference from the bible so that he could see if it was the same in his bible.
Then, at that moment,
another older guy walked by, and Willy started yelling, "Pastor! Pastor!
Hey! Padre! Look at this!" His pastor started walking faster and refused
to look at us. Then Willy started following him and yelling after him, then he
was chasing after him and waving the book over his head. Hermana Boully and I
decided to walk away in that moment. We had a good laugh about it when we were
a reasonable distance away. Hahahaha!
Also, as I mentioned
before, Hermana Boully and I are both about the same height and we both have
sporty builds. So a couple of the people we teach have admitted that they were
a little scared of us initially. But the other Hemanas were talking about it
and said, "Hey, we made a connection while we were reading the scriptures
today; Notice how in the Book of Mormon, every time a verse says that someone
was large in stature, it also says that they were highly favored of the Lord?
To name a few, there was Nephi, Teancum, Helaman, etc. We thought of you and
Hermana Boully as well."
Huh. I guess there is
kind of a pattern there, huh? BOOYAH!
In other other news, we
found this REALLY cool kid named Gabriel. He's read like all of the pamphlets
and he LOVES to read the Book of Mormon. Our only challenge with him is getting
him to go to church. But we're working on that. No worries. Just prayers,
please. Hehe
So I was reading the
dedicatory prayer of the Kirtland Temple during my personal study, and holy cow
there are SOOOO many cool blessings that Joseph Smith asks for in the prayer.
It says that when we leave the temple, we can be armed with God's power and the
angels will have charge over us. That's awesome. It makes me wonder just how
much heavenly help the missionaries have as they go out and serve the
Lord.
I also love how the
prayer says that no weapon forged against the faithful shall prosper. And that
God will fight on our side. It just goes along with the scripture that I love
so much in Nephi 7:7-8. If God is with me, who can be my adversary?
We're still working
towards getting a baptismal date set up with Natalie, but we haven't been able
to visit her for the last week. She has class to teach every day. But no
worries! This week for sure!
Today for P-day, we played
soccer. And holy wow it was cold outside. But not dead-of-winter-in-North-Idaho
cold. Hahaha
And here we have, a
picture!!! Woooo!
It is of my last zone in
Buin. Can you find me? Hehehe
No comments:
Post a Comment