As far as teaching goes, this last week we found a couple named Ana and Enrique. And they are GOLDEN. They accepted a baptismal date for the 9th of May IN THE FIRST LESSON. They both have felt that Joseph Smith truly was a prophet and they´re hungry to learn more about the church. They came to church with us yesterday and they also accepted the invite to come to a Noche de Hogar (F.H.E.) with us!
These two have been so prepared. There´s something special about them. From the first time I walked into their home I could feel this warmth. A feeling of warmth and comfort.
Also, we went to teach a family the other day that is Evangelical, but they don´t attend the church. We were talking to the mom and dad and two of their kids (age 16 and age 18) were present. We were really putting our focus into teaching the parents, but the dad was speaking to us very demeaningly and wagging his finger at us and doing a lot of bible-battling.
Especially with the topic of God and Christ being two separate beings. He´s firm in his belief that they´re the same person.
He claimed to be really well-versed in his knowledge of the bible. And when he would throw something from the bible at us, he would ask with his arms folded and head tilted, ¨Now what do you have to say to that?¨ Hermana Pisconte did most of the talking in trying to explain, and I sat there listening for most of the time. Then a thought popped into my head, and I KNEW that it was the Spirit.
I said, ¨You're very familiar with the Bible, yes?
He said yes.
I said, ¨Do you remember when Christ was praying in the Garden of Gethsemane?¨
The dad stopped for a second, then he gave us this argument that it´s up to each person to interpret the Bible for themselves. And that Jesus was showing that he is God.
......What......?
But the thing is, as the dad continued to argue, Hna. Pisconte and I noticed that the body language of his 18-year-old son Cristofer had changed completely. He looked like he was thinking a lot.
Somebody came to the door, so the dad left the house for a couple of minutes. Then Cristofer told us, ¨I don´t know why my dad is like this. Because for me, it´s very clear now that God and Christ are two separate beings.¨ He went on to explain that he is still searching for the truth.
The dad came back in, and from that point on in the lesson, we focused on Cristofer. We gave him a pamphlet for The Restoration so that he could read and learn more, we said the closing prayer, and it still took us ten minutes to get out the door because the dad was wagging his finger at us and saying, ¨And your next visit, I want to talk about your baptisms for the dead. It says nothing about THAT in the bible!¨ and stuff like that. The kid ignored his dad and asked us about the Book of Mormon. We told him that we would show him during the next visit.
No comments:
Post a Comment