Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Week 70

So the girly sister missionary bikes that we have here in the mission are definitely not meant to last a long time on the terrain of Machali. To get to our sector, it's almost all uphill. To get to the furthest spot in Calicantos, it's about 30 minutes or so. Ohhh myyy gosh I am going to have quads like Superman by the time I get home.

Anyways, so the bikes. They are sidewalk cruisers. Not for rough terrain.


Long story short, when we had to go to the top of the hill for lunch, it was so hard on the bike that the bar in the middle (I have no idea what the technical term is...) broke and the bike started to sag and fold in half. When I called the secretary Elders and told them, they were trying not to laugh. 
I need a mountain bike! 

So this week was a little strange. We had some blows of opposition, but hey, opposition in all things, right?


So on Sunday and Monday we made some calls to members to make sure that we would have somebody to accompany us to every appointment that we already had scheduled for the week. We worked out times and schedules and even told them that we were going to give them reminder calls beforehand and on the day of the appointment as well.

We did what we told them we were going to do, and they were still good to go. Then, right before every appointment, they all cancelled. =( It was frustrating, but it just goes to show that there's power in lessons with members. Because otherwise, there wouldn't have been this much opposition. But we're not going to give up. We're just going to do what we did last week and hope that the members don't cancel again.
Also, our week was a little short because we had a funeral on Thursday. The ward secretary passed away. So the other two sisters, Hermana Christensen and I went to the viewing and shared the Plan of Salvation with the people who attended. We also sang Hymns for everyone and got some addresses so that we can make visits.
Friday morning we did splits. Hermana Christensen went to Rengo with Hermana Fowers and Hermana Flores came to be with me here in Machali. We did service for a Peruvian woman named Flor. We sanded the walls of a back room and then sanded the outside gate to prepare them for painting. Her house needs a lot of fixing up. She was so grateful that she made lunch for all six of us Machali missionaries and her own family. She made us a dish called Papa Huancaina and Peruvian arroz con pollo. I don't like the way Chileans make arroz con pollo because it's usually pretty bland. It's just cooked chicken and rice as it without many spices. But OHHHHHHHHH I LOOOOOOOVE PERUVIAN ARROZ CON POLLO AND PAPA HUANCAINA!!!! It's soooooooo good! I could eat it with anything and everything! It's a yellow sauce. =D 

After lunch, we had to go directly to the funeral for the Hermano who died and we headed to the gravesite with everyone where we did some more contacting and shared more about the Plan of Salvation.
Saturday, of course, was General Conference. I LOOOOOOOVE GENERAL CONFERENCE!!!!!!! It's like Christmas for missionaries. Seriously. I loved and enjoyed every minute of it!
I pulled out a lot of good stuff from the talks. 

I definitely want to attend the temple as often as I can when I get home from my mission. (Not trunky!) Just sayin'. ;) 

I also would love to be able to do Family Council with my family and with my own family one day as well. (Still not trunky. Gahhhh!) Okay. Maybe a little. Or just excited to start doing these things. XD
Also, I learned a lot about Sabbath Day observance and the Sacrament. I thought Elder Bednar's talk was soooo perfect for me, because I always had a few questions about how the Sacrament works. I learned that repentance and forgiveness from sin is not in the partaking of the Sacrament in itself; it is in the conscientious preparation throughout the week. AWESOME!!!!

I also loved the talk by Gary E. Stevenson when he talked about the keys of the Priesthood and how we can best make use of them. I especially loved when he said that the Sisters aren't under the same mandate as the Elders to serve missions, but we should still prepare ourselves for missionary service even if we don't go! Because the things that we learn and the experience that we gain will serve us throughout our lives and in our service as member missionaries. 

I learned lots of other things, but I only have an hour and 15 minutes to write. hahahaha! So I'll share my notes later. ;D

Hermana Christensen, as usual, is a champ. I love her so much. She's always so positive in any circumstance. 
We have a baptism coming up with Roberto very soon. We don't know exactly when yet because we might have to change his baptismal date just so that he can get to know some people in the Machali ward first.
Anyways, that's all for now. Chaooooooo!!!!!!!
-Hermana Darley

No comments:

Post a Comment